If you are one of the lucky people who get to spend the holidays on Anna Maria Island, or if you’re wondering what the island is like at this time of the year, we’ve got the inside scoop. We’ve been on the island for over 30 years making sure our guests have the best possible holiday season, so we know the inside scoop.
Of course, the island is as beautiful as every in December, but some very special events make it the perfect location for a Christmas getaway.
Here’s are the can’t-miss events coming up:
- Marie Sine at Island West Gallery If you’re looking for a local artist who captures the beauty of local sea life, you can see Sine’s “Land and Sea” exhibit running the entire month of December. Who do you know who would absolutely love a painting of the island by a local artist?
- Tree Lighting in Holmes Beach December 1st at 5pm sees the annual tree lighting ceremony at the Chamber of Commerce in Holmes Beach.
- Bethlehem Walk with Roser Church On December 2nd you can Christmas Carol while you walk during a reenactment of the journey for shelter by Mary and Joseph. The walk includes a llama, donkeys, and goats.
- Holiday of Treasures on Pine Avenue The wonderful shops on Pine Avenue hold a special, festive evening on Pine Ave. on December 8th from 4:30pm – 8pm.
- Anna Maria Island Privateer’s Christmas Parade One of the most popular holiday events on Anna Maria Island is the Privateer’s Christmas Parade. On December 12th the parade starts in Anna Maria at Bayfront Park and travels the length of the island down to Coquina Beach.
- Christmas on Bridge Street On December 16th from 4:30pm – 8pm Bradenton Beach’s famous Bridge Street gets festive.
Spending Christmas and New Year’s on Anna Maria island really is special. If you’re staying at Cedar Cove Resort you will be able to make your own holiday dinner in your own rental unit. Or, order your entire meal ready to heat up from Publix right down the street. Just imagine having your holiday meal with a view of the Gulf! However, if you’d rather skip the hassle of cooking there are dining options on the island.
The following restaurants are open on Christmas Day:
- Manatee Beach Café – open from 7:30am – 5pm
- Bridge Street Bistro – open from 1pm – 8pm
- Paradise Bagel – open from 7am – 12 noon
- Island Coffee Haus (Holmes Beach) – open from 7am – 1pm
- Lazy Lobster on Longboat Key – open 12pm – 8pm
- Columbia on St. Armand’s Circle – open 12pm – 10pm
- Chart House on Longboat Key – open 11am – 9pm
- Euphemia Haye on Longboat Key – open 3pm – 9pm
If you’re wondering about our beach weather, yes, it is usually warm enough to hit the beach in December. Our average temperature is in the mid-70s in December. There is no shortage of things to do here on our island in December, but as always, a simple walk on the beach will more than likely become your favorite memories.